Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Elmo & Cookie Monster Cupcakes







My sister-in-law asked me to make some cupcakes for the son of a friend of hers. She wanted Elmo and Cookie Monster cupcakes for his first birthday. When she told me, I was nervous and excited. Usually I just copy ideas from two cupcake books I have, but this time I had to come up with the idea on my own. I looked on line a bit at other peoples creations, and mixed their ideas with ideas of my own, and this is what I came up with!

Step 1: Prepare all of the embellishments. Use orange jelly beans for Elmo's nose. Remove the cream from Oreo cookies, and split them in half for the mouths. The hard part is the eyes! Lay out a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Then, melt some white chocolate and spread it on the wax paper, with a spoon, in a small circle. (about the size of a quarter) Place the circles in the freezer for a few minutes to harden. After the white chocolate circles are ready, melt some semi sweet chocolate chips. Use a toothpick to spread the chocolate on the flat side of the white chocolate circles in a small circle for the pupils. (Spread the chocolate in the center for Elmo's eyes and off to the side for Cookie Monster to give him that crazy look)

Step 2: Dye your frosting using food coloring. *Note: I only had regular food coloring which is why my Elmo looks more pink than red. I think a more expensive gel food coloring would produce a more red frosting.

Step 3: Put your frosting in a piping bag with a star tip to give the cupcakes a "fuzzy" appearance. Cover half the cupcakes with red, and half with blue.

Step 4: Assemble your cupcakes so they look like Elmo and Cookie and your done!

No comments:

Post a Comment